MARTIN were appointed Main Contractor for the Hannahstown Hill Environmental Improvement Scheme for Belfast City Council (BCC) in January 2013.
This contract included several phases of work, located at over 30 various locations across Hannahstown Hill, Belfast. The scheme aimed to improve the quality of the public realm by creating a distinctive character and positive identity, providing flexibility so open spaces can be used for a variety of functions, ensuring that all street lighting and furniture is fit for purpose and promoting planting and floral displays to generate seasonal interest.
The overall objective was to ensure the Hannahstown streets and public spaces were designed to bring maximum benefit to all residents. Close involvement of key stakeholders such as Lámh Dhearg C.L.G and the local community association were maintained throughout the phases to promote clear communication lines that ensured works did not impact the local communities’ daily routines. MARTIN were committed to contribute to delivering the high quality, coordinated public realm desired.
Project Works included;
- Installation of gateway signage to improve ease of orientation and wayfinding;
- Installation of 3000m of mixed shrub and tree planting to the main thoroughfare to Hannahstown;
- Urban greening and biodiversity improvements to 400m2 of open field at the Glenside woodland area;
- Construction of 700m sports track;
- Installation of outdoor gym equipment and soft landscaping;
- Installation of 300m mixed drainage, 1500m kerbs and 1000m2 of Bit-macadam footpath;
- Improvements to the scrapyard, consisting of removal of 60m palisade security fencing and installation of new PPC security fencing, installation of 180m2 of raise planters and façade repairs to retaining wall;
- Demolition and clearance of 450m2 site – various earthworks and soft landscaping to create a “Village Green”, a focal communal space in Hannahstown; and,
- Construction of a community play-area.
MARTIN understood BCC need for best value at all times and full visibility of cost, completion dates and KPIs. To accommodate this MARTIN have a rigorous system in place to maintain full and accurate cost records. At the start of the project MARTIN prepared a detailed Work Package budget breakdown which;
- Cross referenced to the Activity Schedule;
- Information securely stored in our project accounts management system; and,
- Updated monthly with subcontractor valuations.
MARTIN also understand the tangible impacts of change and were able to fully mitigate any re-direction that could have impacted on the time, cost and quality. MCS adopted a partnering approach and implemented project risk registers & early warnings to positively contribute successful delivery of Hannahstown.
MARTIN is passionate about creating imaginative, elegant and practical solutions for all facets of public realm design. MARTIN aim to deliver solutions of vision and quality that reflect and enhance local communities and endorse good industry practice through the MARTIN Integrated Management System (IMS), ensuring; Quality, Environmental, and Safety management are evaluated across our supply chain. MARTIN continued use of local materials and promoting best practice in contemporary design, enabled MARTIN to bring about a strong sense of identity and place to Hannahstown.