Working with WJM for the NEELB, MARTIN were appointed to provide a new car park on existing ground owned by Abbey Primary School. The works were carried out during the normal day to day running of the school and comprised the following:
· Site clearance and demolition of existing two storey premises
· Bulk excavation and ground re-profiling
· Imported stone and full carriageway construction
· New drainage installation
· Kerbing and provision of footway
· Construction of new brick wall complete with pillars and coping
· New streetlighting and utility alterations
· 1400m2 of flexible surfacing
· Thermoplastic lining
· New signage and bus parking
· Soft landscaping
Working alongside the main contractor, MARTIN ensured that the works could be completed in a phased construction programme. The site was fully segregated from staff and pupils and all deliveries were planned to ensure they did not coincide with peak times.
Service alterations were critical to the success of the project with existing BT and NIE cables needing to be diverted to allow the car park to proceed.
The finished product has been welcomed by the school staff and parents, as the parking and drop off strategy for the school has greatly improved the safety of the site.